What is E-Juice (E-Liquid)?
What is E-Juice? E-Juice, also known as e-Liquid, is the fluid that fuels Electronic Cigarettes; provides the nicotine solution and flavoring to your Electronic Cigarette. It generally includes at least five ingredients (in total). With such a small list of ingredients, it’s important to remember that it doesn’t contain the chemicals (over 4000) that are found in cigarettes.
Vegetable Glycerin (VG): Glycerin, or glycerol, is the organic compound of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen (C3H8O3). One can find it being used as a sweetener, toothpaste, and/or even a cosmetic product ingredient. Likewise, VG can replace alcohol to extract botanical. In the electric cigarette world, VG makes up roughly 80% of all e-juice and is generally composed of 100% VG or a mix of VG/PG. Usually seen in ratios of 100% VG, 50/50 VG/PG, and 80/20 PG/VG. (citation)
Propylene glycol (PG): Propylene glycol, or propane-1, 2-diol, is an organic compound (C3H8O2). It is a colorless and odorless liquid, with a faint sweet taste, used in a number of things. Being a solvent, it’s the main ingredient of fog machines. In the electric cigarette world, PG makes up roughly 20% of all e-juice and is generally composed of 100% PG or a mix of VG/PG. Usually seen in ratios of 100% PG, 50/50 PG/VG, and 80/20 PG/VG. High PG ratios produce thicker vapor clouds. One of the drawbacks of PG is the possibility of dry one’s throat or mild allergic reactions. (citation)
Flavor: Almost all e-juice flavors are produced from food grade flavorings, originally intended for baking and candy making. Likewise, adhere to standards set down in the USP, NF or FCC (U.S.Pharmacopoeia, National Formulary, and Food Chemical Codex).
Nicotine: E-juice nicotine density is the number of milligrams of nicotine per milliliter of the E-juice. In short, a 10ml bottle of 24mg nicotine e-juice would contain 240mg of nicotine (10ml x 24mg). Equally, a 30ml bottle of 24mg e-juice would have 720mg of nicotine in it (30ml x 24mg).
- 0mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains no (zero) nicotine in the mixture. This is generally for those who have quit smoking and still enjoy the oral fixation and/or flavor.
- 6mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains the lightest level of nicotine offered in the mixture. This is for those who enjoy the smallest possible nicotine level while still enjoying their full flavor.
- 12mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains a comfortable level of nicotine offered in the mixture; think “Light cigarettes”. Usually used by those who still prefer nicotine, but aren’t heavy electronic cigarettes users.
- 18mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains what most ex-smokers believe is the perfect amount of nicotine offered in the mixture.
- 24mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains a high level of nicotine offered in the mixture. This is generally used by those who at one time smoked at least a pack per day.
- 36mg/ml Nicotine: Indicates the e-juice contains the highest level of nicotine offered by most vape shops in the mixture. This is usually reserved for those former smokers with a serious nicotine addiction; think at least two packs per day.
Distilled Water: Distilled water is only used for dilute purposes.
That sums up the ingredients for any e-juice. With just a base of VG or PG (or both), flavor, nicotine, and possibly distilled water, leaves e-juice much safer than that of cigarettes. You can now take your newly required knowledge and makeyour your very own e-juice